I’m totally nuts about these little cookies, the yummy chocolatey nut butter makes them so irresistible, it’s almost impossible to stop at just one.
You will need:
Cacao butter – (makes 2 jars)
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 5 tsp cacao powder
- 4 tbs rice bran syrup
- pinch salt
- coconut milk
- ground nut oil
Macadamia and hazelnut cookies (makes 12)
- 1 jar cacao nut butter
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 level tsp baking powder
- 50g of 70% chocolate
The cacao nut butter is delicious spread onto some wholemeal toast and topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries and a drizzle of honey for an indulgent breakfast.
To make the nut butter:
- Place the nuts into a food processor, add a dash of coconut milk and blend for 3-4 minutes until you have a smooth butter.
- Add the cacao powder, honey, a dash more coconut milk and a pinch of salt and blend again for another minute or two.
- Add a good glug of ground nut oil and give it one final blend.
- Store the spread in a jam jar in the fridge, it’ll keep for about 2 weeks.
To make the cookies:
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- Spoon one jar of the nut butter into a large mixing bowl and sift in the plain flour, baking powder then add the brown sugar and carefully rub the ingredients together with your fingertips to create a fine breadcrumb consistency. Add the egg and mix once more.
- Roughly chop the chocolate into small pieces and add to the mix.
- Bring the cookie mix together then roll into a long sausage shape roughly 5cm in diameter on top of a large piece of cling film.
- Wrap the cookie dough in the cling film, then holding the edges of the cling film roll the dough away from you, repeat this until the dough forms a thick sausage shape thats the same diameter all the way across. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cling film and slice the cookie dough into roughly 1cm thick cookies and place onto an oven tray lined with greaseproof paper. Push the cookies down a little to ensure they cook evenly.
- Oven bake for 15 minutes, once cooked leave to cool on a cooling rack.