Marinating the chicken like this tenderises the meat leaving it so juicy and full of flavour.
You will need:
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbs natural yoghurt
- 1 lime
- 3 tsp tandoori spice mix (if you don’t have this you can make your own – see below)
- sesame oil
- 1/2 red cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 red capsicum
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 1/2 bunch spring onions
- 1 green apple
Tandoori spice mix:
(Can be stored in an airtight container)
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- Slice the chicken breasts into bite size pieces. To marinade the chicken add the yoghurt to a large mixing bowl then stir in the tandoori spice.
- Add your chicken pieces and mix well. Cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. If you don’t have too much time there is no need to refrigerate, the flavours will still be great.
- Thread the chicken onto the kebab skewers. If you are using wooden skewers soak these in water for 10 minutes to stop them burning on the bbq. Leave to one side.
- To make the raw slaw, finely slice all of the vegetables and the apple then add to a large mixing bowl. If you have a mandolin these are great for really finely sliced veg.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the slaw and mix well.
- BBQ the tandoori kebabs turning every 2-3 minutes. They should take between 12-15 minutes but ensure they are cooked all the way through before removing from the heat.
- Squeeze 1/2 a fresh lime over the kebabs and leave to rest.
- Dress the salad with a little lime juice and sesame oil.