I love making soups with a bit of a punch and adding spicy chorizo kicks this soup up a gear. I like to make a large batch then freeze what ever I don't eat.
You will need:
- 4 large capsicums
- 6 large vine ripened mixed tomatoes (yellow, purple, red etc)
- 1 punnet cherry tomates
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 120g chorizo sausage (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 1 tin kidney beans
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Double the batch and freeze it until you need a quick dinner one evening. Remember this has meat in it so make sure to remove from the freezer the night before and heat until pipping hot before serving.
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C
- Cut the top off the capsicums and scoop out the seeds then place on an oven proof tray lined with greaseproof paper upside down. Slice the large tomatoes into 1/4s and place on the tray with the whole cherry tomatoes. Slice your red onion into 1/4s and add them to the tray as well.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper and make sure all the veg is thoroughly coated. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until they start to colour and the skin from the capsicum blisters. Once cooked remove and leave to one side.
- In a pan slowly fry the chopped garlic, sliced celery. Remove the thin skin from the chorizo and chop into small pieces. Add 1/2 of the chorizo sausage and some finely chopped basil stalks. Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Next add the tomato puree and cook for another 2 minutes, add a little water so the tomato puree doesn’t burn.
- Once the capsicum has cooled a little peel the blistered skin then roughly chop. Add the capsicum, roasted tomato and onion to a large thick bottomed pan along with the tomato puree and chorizo mix.
- Next add 1 litre of boiling chicken stock and bring the pot back to the boil. Whilst the soup is coming to the boil grill the other half of the chopped chorizo until really crispy then tip onto some kitchen roll to remove some of the grease.
- As soon as the soup has boiled remove from the heat. Blend until smooth and adjust the seasoning, finally add 1/2 bunch of basil leaves and blend once more. Finally add the drained kidney beans, stir then top with the crispy chorizo.